Categories of Water during Floods
What do you think about when you see the word flood? Do you imagine a bathtub overflowing and spilling into the hallway? Or do you visualize a storm pushing huge waves that crash into homes? Water is broken into three categories when dealing with water loss.
Clean water is water that is well... clean and does not pose harm. An example of this would be an overflowing sink. Grey water is water that is contaminated and may cause sickness if contaminated. An example would be a broken toilet bowl. Black water is unsanitary water that may harbor diseases and bacteria that will cause sickness. This includes accidents that involve sewage water.
Regardless of which category of water you've been affected, please follow the following steps when you experience water loss.
1) Make sure you and your family are safe.
2) Find and address the source of the issue if possible.
3) Call your insurance company & plumber.
4) Take pictures.
5) Call professionals such as SERVPRO who can help with water mitigation and cleaning.
6) Take preventative measures by maintaining your plumbing and water systems.