Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Removal vs Remediation
Microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy.
A qualified restoration company understands the science behind mold and mold growth. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or business. Mold remediation focuses on getting mold levels back to normal, natural levels.
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same.
The Dangers of Mold
Mold remediation is process!
Mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture and can grow as quickly as 48 hours! Mold causes many respiratory and health issues such as nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.
Luckily, we at SERVPRO are here to help. We understand that water damage requires immediate attention in order to prevent mold altogether. The sooner we are called after a leak, spill, flood, etc. the less likely you are to develop mold. Nobody wants that health damaging, gross smelling, expensive problem!
Prevent Mold Growth in your Monrovia Home
Mold containment prevents spores from spreading while the air is filtered.
Get Ahead of the Game
- If deciding to paint your home, add mold inhibitors to your paint.
- When cleaning areas inside your home that see the most moisture such as your kitchen and bathrooms, always clean with a mold-killing product.
- Carpet often helps trap moisture underneath and can be the perfect environment for mold growth if in an area that is always moist, such as a basement or sunroom.
- The area surrounding your home should always be sloping away from the house to prevent any pooling or water flow underneath your house.
- Make sure drip pans underneath appliances such as an air conditioning unit, dishwasher or refrigerator are not overflowing or spilling onto the floor.
- Check your indoor plants to see if water is gathering and possibly leaking onto the floor as well.
- A visual inspection under your sinks and toilets can also help to identify if there is a broken seal or a pipe that may be leaking.
- Whenever there is a spill, water leak, overflowing sink or tub be sure to always clean it up immediately.
- Always remove or replace any carpet that is not able to properly dry, this will help prevent any mold growth that may occur due to saturation.
- Any piping that remains cold often creates condensation, this can easily be fixed by insulating those pipes.
- Have you noticed moisture or water seeping through your windows after a heavy rain? If so it may be time to inspect those windows and make sure there are no gaps and that a weather proof sealant or strip is properly installed.
Turn Up the Air Flow and Increase the Ventilation
- Whenever it’s nice out, be sure to open those windows and doors to easily help ventilate and move air around your home.
- Same thing goes for when you are showering, cooking, running the dishwasher or let’s say cleaning your laundry; make sure you have those windows open to bring air flow into those rooms. An even better idea is to use an exhaust fan while you are cleaning in your kitchen or cleaning up in your bathroom.
Here is a shot of some mold growth climbing up a stairwell. The mold extended across the hall into the laundry room and other areas.
SERVPRO® of Monrovia Professionals handle water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. Mold is more likely to spread when moisture has been affecting an environment for a long period of time. If your property has sustained a recent water damage, it is vital to have water removed and the structure dried promptly.
If you have experienced an ongoing moisture problem in the building, it is important to be alert to the following factors:
- The presence of visible mold.
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might indicate previous mold growth.
- excessive humidity.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Help Has Arrived
The SERVPRO of Monrovia professional will arrive on-site alert for any visible signs of mold. In the event mold is found. a technician Monrovia, CAd you leave the affected area while the mold cleanup and associated containment process is being safely completed. You will also be asked to approve and sign a work authorization form prior to any mold cleanup or related work being performed.